In today’s digital age, having a well-structured site architecture is crucial for improving your website’s search engine optimization (SEO) and overall user experience. Good site architecture is crucial for effective SEO. It’s the organization and structure of your website’s pages, and it affects how search engines crawl and index your site. By optimizing your site architecture, you can improve your website’s visibility and search rankings. Please read this blog- “How to improve your site architecture for better SEO” to get the exact details.
How does website structure influence SEO?
By optimizing your site architecture, you can make it easier for search engines to crawl your website and understand your content, resulting in better rankings and increased traffic.
In this blog post, I will share with you some effective strategies to improve your site architecture and enhance your SEO efforts. I will cover a range of topics, including developed content strategy, creating clear navigation, optimizing your URL structure, and more.
So, let’s get started and take your website to the next level!
Before that let’s get an overall idea of the website structure.
What Is Website Architecture?
Website architecture refers to how web pages are organized and linked together within a website. A well-architectured website is hierarchical and follows a logical order.
The home page is at the top, followed by category pages, and then individual pages. This architecture helps search engines and visitors navigate the site easily. An efficient site structure is significantly important for the entire digital marketing strategy of a website.
Suppose you have lots of different types of informative content on your website. But if they are not organized properly on your website, the audience will never be able to find the content.
So your website can’t get any valuable output from those contents.
Different Types of Websites Architecture
Generally, a website can be structured in different types and styles based on the purposes. In this section, I am going to discuss some commonly followed website structures. So let’s jump on that.
- Hierarchical Model
The hierarchical Model website structure is one of the most popular and widely used structures in web design.
It is a traditional and straightforward model that arranges web pages in a hierarchical order, with the homepage at the top of the hierarchy and subpages branching out beneath it.
This model is particularly effective for search engine optimization (SEO) purposes. Search engines like Google favor well-structured websites that are easy to navigate and understand.
The hierarchical structure helps search engine bots crawl and index the website’s pages more efficiently, improving the website’s overall SEO performance.
- Sequential Model
Sequential model website structure, also known as the linear model, is a website structure where each page has only one link, which leads to the next page in a linear sequence.
It is a straightforward approach, where the content of the website is presented in chronological order, like a story.
But sequential model website structure can also have limitations. It may not be suitable for websites with a large amount of content, as it can make navigation difficult and result in a long series of pages to click through.
- Matrix Model
The matrix model website structure, also known as a flat website structure, is a website architecture that involves organizing website content into multiple categories that intersect with each other.
In a matrix model structure, each page can be assigned to multiple categories and can be accessed from different parts of the website.
This allows users to navigate the website in a non-linear way, as they can move from one category to another and discover content that may be related but not immediately apparent.
Matrix model website structures are particularly useful for websites with large amounts of content that can be classified in different ways.
- Database Model
In this model, the website’s content is stored in a database, and the web pages are generated dynamically based on the user’s request and the content stored in the database.
The database model structure separates the website’s content from its design and presentation, allowing for more flexibility and scalability.
It enables the website to handle large amounts of content and makes it easier to update and manage the website.
Importance of Website Architecture
A website must be organized in a structured way. It impacts the overall performance and reliability of the site. There are lots of reasons that you must focus on your website structure.
- User Experience – There is no doubt that user experience is one of the core factors of any type of website. A better user experience is always efficient to grow the visibility of your website to the target audience. Especially if you have an e-commerce website, visibility, and traffic are big factors for increasing sales. So if your website’s contents and pages are structured appropriately, your visitor will be satisfied while browsing the site.
- Efficient Crawling – The search ranking of your website highly depends on the search engine crawl ability of your site. Because a search engine robot crawls the website and understands the structure and page orientation. After the crawling process, it indexes the website. So proper website structure increases the chances of faster indexing of your website.
- Build Topical Authority – When you are focused on the structure of your website, content becomes an important part of it. You have to optimize the structure with proper content strategy. For that purpose, you need to produce different types of relevant helpful content based on a major topic. As a result, it increases the value and authority of the content to the users and search engines.
- Develop Sitelinks – Google search results show relevant sub-page links of the top-ranked website. You already know that an appropriate site structure helps the search engine to understand your website subpages and categories. So it has become very essential for generating site links.
Significant Steps to Improve Your Site Architecture for Better SEO
1. Implementation of Proper Internal Links
As you are focused on optimizing the SEO of your website, you must know about internal links. Internal links are the biggest part of your entire website structure. Generally, the internal links help to organize the site structure properly.
How do internal links influence the website architecture?
First, you need to understand what internal linking is. Internal linking is the most powerful factor in the SEO ranking of your website.
The internal linking process is creating connections between one page to another page of your website. During internal linking, you must ensure that the web page or content is relevant.
By the way, you can read this article to produce user-friendly content – Tips to Help You Publish Awesome Content That’s Helpful To User
When a user visits a specific page of your website, he or she will easily navigate to the other relevant pages.
To get the best out of your internal linking strategy, you must understand the types of internal links. Internal links are divided into two major types
- Navigational Internal Links – Navigational links are those links that help the audiences to visit your site sequentially. Like the home page – category – subcategory. It’s very efficient to improve the user experience.
- Contextual Internal Links – Contextual links are those page links that share related information. For example, the link between two different social media marketing contents.
During the internal linking, you must focus on implementing highly authoritative and top-ranking pages for your website. Also, you have to go through an effective market analysis to get extensive ideas about internal linking strategy. Because internal links are helpful for web crawlers to navigate your site properly. So if you want to improve the SEO ranking of your website you must focus on internal links.
2. Keep a Precise And Simple URL Structure
Do you know that the URL structure can be a huge part of your website’s SEO ranking? URL structure is the entire wording of the URL it’s commonly known as the website and page address. More specifically we can say the URL is the link to the web page.
It creates influential effects on the SEO of your site. A proper URL is always efficient for a better user experience. Because most of the people come to visit your website landing page through the URL.
How do you prepare URLs for SEO?
First, you need to focus on optimizing very simple URLs for each web page. So that the audience can easily understand. You need to make the URL reader-friendly. It’s also helpful for search engine ranking algorithms.
According to Google Search Central,
“A site’s URL structure should be as simple as possible. Consider organizing your content so that URLs are constructed logically and in a manner that is most intelligible to humans.”
Keep the URL very simple like this – https://digisocial.com.bd/future-of-digital-marketing/
Besides that, you should include relevant keywords in the URL. You need to add the keywords to the URL slug. Also when you are including long sentences in the URL, separate the words with hyphens.
3. Add a Flexible Navigation Menu On the Website
If you are talking about the user experience of the website, the navigation menu plays a huge role in a website. When users want to explore your website, the navigation menu helps with browsing.
So if you don’t optimize the site navigation menu properly, users will instantly leave your site. You will automatically lose a good audience.
The navigation menu can be considered as the pathway or keys for going through a website.
Here are some tips to optimize navigation menus for SEO:
- Use descriptive labels: Use clear and descriptive labels for menu items. Suppose you have an ecommerce site. Avoid generic labels like “Products” or “Services”. Instead, use specific labels that describe what the page is about, such as “Men’s Clothing” or “Women’s Accessories”.
- Limit the number of menu items: Too many menu items can overwhelm users and make it difficult for them to find what they’re looking for. Keep your main navigation menu simple and limit the number of items to around 5-7.
- Use a hierarchical structure: Organize your menu items in a hierarchical structure, with broad categories at the top and subcategories below them. This helps users quickly find what they’re looking for, and search engines to better understand the relationships between pages.
- Make it mobile-friendly: With an increasing number of people accessing websites on mobile devices, it’s important to ensure your navigation menu is mobile-friendly. Use a responsive design that adapts to different screen sizes, and consider using a “hamburger” menu icon for mobile devices.
A clear and well-organized navigation menu can also make it easier for search engines to crawl and index your website.
This can help ensure that all of your important pages are included in search engine results pages (SERPs), making it more likely that users will find your website when searching for relevant keywords or phrases.
4. Include Breadcrumbs
For improving the site architecture you must implement breadcrumbs in your website. It’s one of the efficient ways to categorize different pages of your website appropriately.
Breadcrumbs in a website refer to a navigational tool that helps users understand their current location on the site and retrace their steps to previous pages.
It typically appears near the top of a webpage and displays the hierarchy of pages that led the user to the current page.
For example, a breadcrumb trail for a product page might look like this:
Home > Shop > Electronics > Smartphones > iPhone X
In this example, the user can easily see that they are currently on the page for the iPhone X and can quickly navigate back to the Electronics page or even to the Home page if they wish to do so.
Breadcrumbs are useful for both users and search engines as they provide a clear and organized structure for a website. This structure can help users quickly understand where they are on a website and how they can navigate to other sections.
For search engines, breadcrumbs provide additional context to understand the relationship between different pages on a website, which can help improve the overall SEO of the site.
Breadcrumbs can also be displayed in search engine results pages (SERPs), which can help users understand the context of a specific page and make it more likely that they will click on the link to visit the site.
Overall, incorporating breadcrumbs into a website’s design can be a helpful SEO strategy for business improving both user experience and search engine visibility.
5. Create Sitemaps
Sitemaps can help improve SEO by making it easier for search engine crawlers to discover and index all the pages on a website.
It provides a clear and organized list of URLs for search engines to follow, which can lead to better crawling and indexing of a website’s pages.
Generally, the sitemaps are often optimized into two different forms.
- HTML Sitemaps – An HTML sitemap is a web page on a website that provides a structured list of all the web pages and their hierarchy in a format that is easy for website visitors to navigate. It helps website users to find the content they are looking for quickly and easily. Unlike an XML sitemap, an HTML sitemap is intended for human visitors rather than search engines.
- XML Sitemaps – XML sitemaps are specifically designed for search engines and are not intended to be used as a navigation menu for website visitors. They are typically located in the website’s root directory and can be submitted to search engines via their webmaster tools.
When new pages or updates are made to a website, they can be included in the sitemap to ensure search engines are made aware of the changes.
Also, Sitemaps can be organized by categories or sections, which can help search engines understand the structure of the website and the relationships between pages.
So you should focus on creating XML sitemaps for your website. A well-structured XML sitemap can make a website more accessible to search engines and can lead to improved visibility and rankings in search engine results pages.
6. Do Competitor Research Before Implementing Site Architecture
Competitor research is especially significant for marketing a company or website. By the way, it’s equally important for technical sectors like website architecture.
As you know, your main intention is to attract the audience to visit your website. So the audience not only visits your website, but they also go to multiple similar websites to get better content or information.
So a proper competitor analysis will help you to understand the demands of the audience. After that, you can map your website architecture. It will also increase the SEO performance of your website.
Follow these essential tips to do proper competitor research.
- Identify who your top competitors are. You can do this by searching for keywords related to your business and seeing which websites come up on the first page of the search results.
- Take a close look at the website structure of your competitors. Pay attention to the organization of their content, their navigation menu, and their use of headings and subheadings.
- There are several tools available that can help you gather data on your competitors’ website architecture. Some examples include SEMrush, Ahrefs, and Moz.
Always remember, the goal is not to copy your competitors, but rather to learn from them and make improvements to your website architecture.
7. Include A Site Search Option
When you are setting up the architecture of your website you must include a site search option in your website.
Site search is a feature on a website that allows users to search for specific content or information within the website itself.
It typically appears as a search box on the website’s homepage or in the header/navigation area.
A search option helps users to find what they are looking for quickly and easily. Users can type in a specific keyword or phrase, and the search results will display all relevant pages and content on the website.
This enhances the user experience and ensures that users can quickly locate the information they need.
Having a well-structured website architecture is essential for improving SEO and user experience. It not only helps search engines crawl and index your website efficiently but also provides a smooth and intuitive navigation experience for your visitors.
By implementing the basic principles of website architecture, such as clear organization, logical hierarchy, and strategic internal linking, you can optimize your website’s structure for better SEO results. By the way, if you need any SEO-related services, visit our Digisocial website.
Learn More About SEO: